Monday, October 3, 2016

Here's what I plan on reading and watching this week (10/2 - 10/8)

Good afternoon!

Without further ado, here is what I ended up reading and watching last week.

Books

Fight Club 2 by Chuck Palahniuk, et. al:  F.  I reviewed it here.  In short, it was a terrible waste of time.

This Book is Gay by James Dawson:  B.  I’m glad this book exists because it contains valuable information for LGBT* youth, but it’s not exactly a breakthrough:  the information is readily available elsewhere, without the author’s silly (at times) commentary.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie:  B+.  I reviewed it here.  It was a lovely, fast read (I finished in about three hours).

Movies

Deepwater HorizonC+.  I wasn’t expecting to catch this in theaters, but I got a last minute invitation to see an advanced screening.  I may review this further, but it was high in action but develops into the standard action movie tropes. 

StorksB-.  Cute, but forgettable. 

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar ChildrenC.  I’ll definitely review this shortly.  It’s your typical Tim Burton movie in terms of wacky production designs and costume design.  Other than that, however, the film felt hollow.  The last half of the movie didn’t exactly do the source material any favors.

The Fundamentals of Caring:  B-.  I really wish I wasn’t so wishy-washy on all of these movies this week.

And here’s what I plan on reading and watching this week.

Books

Home is Burning by Dan Marshall.  I’m 75% of the way through this.  I will most definitely have a review for this shortly.  So far it’s a very polarizing read.

Heartburn by Norah Ephron.  The audiobook is read by Meryl Streep.  Sign me up!

Cinder by Marissa Meyer.  Another audiobook.  I’m going to a book signing on Friday and Marissa is going to be one of the featured authors.

Movies

Operation Avalanche.  I got an invitation to see an advanced screening for tomorrow night, otherwise I hadn’t heard of it.  Found footage movies are hit or miss for me, so we’ll have to see how good this is.

The Girl on the Train.  Despite only kinda liking the book, I’m really anticipating this. 


I’ll try to catch up on some documentaries on Netflix and/or Hulu, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment