Monday, October 10, 2016

Here's what I plan on reading and watching this week (10/9 - 10/15)

Without further ado, here is what I read and watched.

Books

Home is Burning by Dan Marshall:  D.  Review here.  I'm still not over that bitter aftertaste.

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer:  C+.  Not exactly the most articulate celebrity memoir out there, but it was fine.  I listened to it on audiobook, so it was almost like listening to Amy Schumer's stand-up routine for seven hours.

Heartburn by Nora Ephron:  B-.  I'm a fan of the late Nora Ephron's humor--especially in When Harry Met Sally..., which is one of my favorite romantic comedies--so I thought it was fine.  Again, listened to it on audiobook, and Meryl Streep was the reader.  Did you know this book was adapted into a movie starring Meryl Streep in the 80s?  I'll have to check it out.

Movies

Operation Avalanche: B+. The first half was definitely better, but the stylistic choices never tire on me, and the conclusion made me feel legitimate uneasy.

The Girl on the Train: C-. On the bright side, it was just like the book. On the flip side, the book was the kind of frivolous junk you can read in one sitting. Blunt works her ass off and I loved her for it; I just wish the rest of the movie gave the same effort.

Amanda Knox: B+. Maybe I'm rating so generously because of how interesting the subject matter is, and because I'm trash for Netflix documentaries.

And here's what I'm planning to read and watch this week:

Books

Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven.  I was a reluctant fan of All the Bright Places:  I admit its limitations, but it still turned me to mush (see also:  John Green).  I'm not sure how the "World's Fattest Teen" plot will work out, but I'm hoping Niven tackles it with tact.

I'm not sure what else I'll read.  It's going to be one of these:

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison.  I got this at Goodwill for a dollar, so what's the worst that can happen?  Never mind, I read the first 30 pages and threw it into my pile of things I'm going to donate the next time I go to Half Price Books.  This is the kind of thing that I'd call sophomoric 15 years ago.

Rose Madder by Stephen King.  Gotta get into that Halloween spirit!

The Assistants by Camille Perri.  This book has been on my radar for months now, but I still haven't started it yet.

Movies

13th.  I love me some documentaries!

I have no idea what else I'll watch.  This is a crap-shoot of a week for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment