Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Here's What I Plan to Read and Watch This Week (4/3 - 4/9)



Slump.
Slump. Slump.
Slump. Slump. Slump.
Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump.
Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump.
Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump.
Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump.
Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump.
Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump.
Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump. Slump.


I’m at the start of a slump.  I was so slumpy that I didn’t bother to update on my progress on Monday or Tuesday.  I’m so slumpy that I have six (!!!) library books but none of them jump out as something I need to read right now.  Hell, I’m so slumpy that there’s nothing in theaters currently that I have the need to watch right now.  I just want to go home, watch Survivor, and watch Broadway shows.

Here’s what I read and watched last week.

Books

Highbone Theater by Joe Daly:  D. I read the back of this graphic novel and noted that it dealt with an introverted main character, and then I flipped through and enjoyed the art style.  I figured “sure, why not?”  This isn’t the worst graphic novel I’ve read, but I never could get behind the main character, nor did I like the overly long side plot involving 9/11.  Also, the ending blurs the line between pretentious and indecipherable.  I’m not a big fan of this.

Movies

The Most Hated Woman in America: C+. I'm struggling to come up with a reaction besides this being adequate. The structure and tone could have been better, but Melissa Leo does an admirable job holding it all together. Top-notch makeup and hairstyling.

Being 17: A-.  I didn’t get the memo that this movie was in French, or that it was an LGBT film!  This didn’t affect my enjoyment, of course, but I still didn’t know this until I started the movie on Netflix.  As far as coming of age movies go, this is one of the more realistic ones.  I loved the character development between the two teenagers (Damien and Tomas), and Tomas’ mother is one of the most patient, understanding maternal figures in recent cinema.  I loved this movie!

The Belko Experiment: D+. I have always wanted to see someone be killed by a tape dispenser, so I can check that off my bucket list!

And here’s what I’m planning to read and watch this week.  Spoiler alert: the aforementioned slump is going to weigh heavily into this.  I feel like I should catch up on Thirteen Reasons Why, Grace & Frankie, or Big Little Lies, but I also feel like those are going to be on Netflix and HBO Go when I stop being slumpy, and they will understand if I ignore them for a while.

Books

Monkey Mind by Daniel Smith: I’m listening to this on audiobook, and I’m really enjoying it.  Daniel is explaining his struggles with anxiety, along with his relationship with his therapist mother (who also dealt with crippling anxiety in the past).

Besides that, one of following graphic novels:

The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui
Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo and Me by Ellen Forney
The Story of My Tits by Jennifer Hayden
Tangles by Sarah Leavitt
You Are Here by Jenny Lawson

Movies

Again, here is a list of possibilities:

Power Rangers
The Boss Baby
The Zookeeper’s Wife
Some random stuff on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment