Monday, March 27, 2017

Here's What I Plan to Read and Watch This Week (3/27 - 4/2)



I feel like I’m going to slow down on my weekly reading soon. I’m already at 28 books for the year (according to Goodreads) and my goal this year was to read fewer (yet longer) books, and I’m not doing that.  That said, I’m planning to read 2-3 things this week anyway. *sigh*

Here’s what I did last week.

Books

Big Mushy Happy Lump, a Sarah’s Scribbles Book by Sarah Anderson: B. Like her first collection, this is mainly a compilation of things Sarah Anderson posted on social media.  Unlike her first collection, Sarah includes text interludes halfway through where she gives some insight on some life challenges. These interludes come out of nowhere after a standard copy/paste of some of her most well-known comic strips for almost 100 pages, so it’s a little jarring to have the text—and it made me wish the book was written this way.  Reservations aside, Sarah’s comic strips are still hilarious, and I enjoyed the extra text about serious topics: anxiety, loneliness, and stealing sweaters from loved ones.

The Receptionist by Janet Groth: C. This memoir was a chore to get through (even on audiobook…), as the author’s tangents didn’t interest me as much as the synopsis led me to believe that it would.  Also, there wasn’t enough conflict to justify its length. All in all, the material doesn’t warrant a 200+ page memoir; rather, I’d suggest this biography to be a long article that you’d find in…ironically enough…The New Yorker.

Movies

Gifted: C. This is the kind of movie that plays out exactly as the trailer suggests. Saving it from bargain bin material is newcomer Mckenna Grace, who plays the seven year old character with all of the emotional maturity that is expected of her.  I could take or leave the Chris Evans/Lindsay Duncan legal drama—not because the acting isn’t decent, but because the banter didn’t elicit a natural emotional response, especially because the script is kind of awful.

Wilson: B-. Woody Harrelson is having a ball with this material, and his infectious attitude rubs off on costars Laura Dern, Judy Greer, and Margo Martindale (the latter only appearing in one scene). I felt a bit bored with the movie in its third act, which occurs almost in spite of what we have come to expect from the character.

Personal Shopper: B. The audience I saw this movie with was AWFUL.  Two women behind me kept talking about their dogs and how well behaved they were. One woman thought it necessary to analyze every piece of clothing in the film (and based on the movie title and trailers, you can guess there are numerous pieces of clothing on display).  Oh, and one person before the movie asked if this was a romantic comedy…blissfully unaware of any promotional poster (including the one right outside the theater) which proclaimed it a thriller.  As far as the movie goes, I enjoyed it! It picks up the pace and continues its intense suspense, and ends on a high note. Kristen Stewart has become one of the most interesting actors of her generation. Who saw this coming?

Here’s what I’m planning to read and watch this week.

Books

Highbone Theater by Joe Daly: I was browsing the graphic novel section at Books a Million last week and this piqued my interest.  The black and white art design, along with the synopsis, which included the word “introvert” to describe the main character, made me request this at my local library.

It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini:  Like last week, this may or may not happen, depending on how my week goes.

You Are Here: An Owner’s Manual for Dangerous Minds by Jenny Lawson: If I can find a copy of this, I’ll read it. I didn’t know it was a book with stories in it until my friend Gina mentioned it.

Movies

The Most Hated Woman in America: Hello, Netflix original movie!  Speaking of Netflix…

Being 17: I hear this is supposed to be decent.

The Zookeeper’s Wife: Previews look good; I love Jessica Chastain.

Life: This didn’t get watched last week (I also didn’t catch Power Rangers), so let’s see if it happens this week.

There’s an LGBTQ “festival” (read: like seven indie films) in St. Louis this week, so I may catch a couple of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment