Monday, November 14, 2016

Here's what I plan on reading and watching this week (11/14 - 11/20)

Last week was the final week of the St. Louis International Film Festival, so I took advantage in seeing four more films—bringing my total that I saw this year at nine films, a new record for me.  Other than that, I’m blaming my reading slump on the presidential election results; I haven’t been able to concentrate on reading much since then, and the books I had to read were a graphic novel and a stage play.

Here’s what I read and watched last week:

Books

If I Stay by Gayle Forman:  C+.  I listened to this on audiobook, otherwise I’d probably still be reading it.  I enjoyed the premise and setup to the novel, but unfortunately the novel gets repetitive and cumbersome while stuck in the narrator’s headspace. 

Doug the Pug:  King of Pop Culture by Leslie Mosier:  I’m not giving this a letter grade.  I explained why in my review

Movies

ArrivalB-.  Amy Adams is terrific in the lead role, and the visual effects are stunning.  My quips with the film lie in the script:  the plot contrivances that lead to the main character’s involvement felt silly, and the plot twist didn’t work as well for me as the director intended. 

Toni ErdmannA.  I desperately needed a laugh following the election results, and this film didn’t disappoint.  Toni Erdmann is able to handle broad, sophomoric humor and familial drama without coming off as overwrought and saturated in sentimentality.  This is my new favorite film of the year.

Long Live DeathC+.  Fans of Dexter will appreciate the premise, but the cat and mouse serial killer film felt a little too by-the-numbers for me.

The Red TurtleB.  I avoided advanced knowledge of the film, so I wasn’t aware that it was without dialogue (barring some exclamations throughout).  The animation was terrific, and the film progresses well even without much plot. 

JackieB-.  Natalie Portman’s much anticipated performance doesn’t disappoint.  I had a slight problem with her accent in the opening scenes, but it quickly evened out and felt appropriate.  My main problem with the film is in its structuring:  despite two framing devices, the film jumps from scene to scene with reckless abandon, edited to the bone to play off Portman’s strengths.  Also, the film suffers from ending fatigue, which is ironic since the 100 minute Jackie felt longer than the 163 minute Toni Erdmann.

I’m hoping to get out of my slump this week—but then again, I’m already at 81 books read for the year, so I can afford the break.

Books

Fences by August Wilson:  For real this time.  It’s due back at the library tomorrow, so I’ll have to finish it tonight.

Egghead by Bo Burnham:  Every now and then, I’ll decide it’s worth my time to binge watch some Bo Burnham videos on YouTube.  I wasn’t aware that Bo had published a book of poetry a couple years ago…

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling (writing as "Newt Scamander"):  Maybe.  The short story isn’t actually required reading before watching the film, so I may skip it.

Movies

20th Century Women:  Another advanced screening; one of these days I’ll write a post about how easy it is to get invited to advanced screenings.  I’m excited to get some of the likely Oscar contenders out the way before December, that way I don’t have to rush and see everything in January/February. 

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them:  I’m cautiously optimistic, considering the advanced notice from critics.  At the very least, I’m hoping for something better than The Cursed Child.

Loving: [insert what I said seeing Oscar contenders before January here]

American Pastoral:  This may or may not happen, if I have a couple of hours this weekend.  The trailer excited me; the word of mouth made it obvious that this was a missable film. 


Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk:  I was really rooting for this movie a couple months ago!  The studio all but trashed it, halting its intended awards push when advanced word was that the film sucked.  I may hold off on this one for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment