Monday, December 26, 2016

Here's What I Plan to Read and Watch This Week (12/26 - 1/1)

It's been a productive week for me.  I read three books, and I watched five movies.  I’m on winter break from work this week, so I’ll have ample time to read and watch plenty!

Books

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens:  B+.  I read this in high school, and this is my first time reading it as an adult.  I forgot how rich the language is, and how much fun the writing is, outside of the famous plot.

Disgraced by Ayad Akhtar:  B.  I like to read Pulitzer Prize winning plays, along with Tony Award winning plays.  Disgraced won the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.  This is a compelling tale with various plot points (xenophobia, religion, domestic disputes—among them), and mostly accomplishes what it sets out to do.  I wish the first two scenes were as fleshed out as the overly long dinner scene that takes up the third scene.

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert: C-.  Reviewed here.  I didn’t care much for this at all.

Movies

Midnight SpecialB+.  While the film is lacking on plot, this sci-fi film (which is being compared to Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T.) more than makes up for it with impressive visual effects and capable acting.  Most films have astronomical budgets; Midnight Special was made for $18 million, and is just as good looking as films made with budgets quadruple its size.

A Monster Calls: B+. This film has been on my most anticipated list since the summer when I read the book. That said, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the film works on its own: the big visual effects didn't detract from the quality of the film; I loved the animated sequences; the film is progressively more depressing without the mawkishness. Speaking of depressing, this is the kind of movie that you'll probably want to watch alone, unless you want to ugly cry around all of your friends. Apparently 2016 is the year where every other film understands how to deal with grief...except for fucking Collateral Beauty, which would rather have you believe that grieving people go to work and build domino buildings for weeks on end.

Rouge One: A Star Wars Story: C+. The first two acts were a snoozefest. The film didn't start to take off until the last 20 minutes. I suppose this prequel (which sits between episodes three and four) really couldn't have ended any other way, but I'm still pleasantly surprised that they went there.

Fences: B+. Denzel Washington and Viola Davis give commanding performances, and the supporting characters are all effective. It's hard to focus on the negatives (too long; drags in the middle) when you have acting as big and powerful as this.

Sing: C+. It's not so much of a jukebox musical; rather, it's about 10-15 seconds of songs that was relevant 5-10 years ago, and a couple full length songs. It's silly, but if you have an hour and a half to kill, you could do worse.  Protip: Try and go at a time when kids aren't usually there. There were way too many at the showing on Christmas evening and I've never wanted a vasectomy as much as I do now.

I’m not sure how this happened, but I have read 96 books this year, with a week to go.  It’s very likely that I end up reading 100 books for 2016, which is something I never would have predicted for myself.

Books

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon:  I have 45 pages left; I’ll finish it tonight.  I’m going to post a review of it, because it’s infuriating me so much.

Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland:  I got this at an author event months ago, and I’ve been needing to read it.  With a week off work, I don’t have an excuse.

What Light by Jay Asher:  See what I just said about Our Chemical Hearts.  It’s Christmas-themed, so it’s appropriate for the season.

The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith:  The film adaptation, Carol, was one of my favorite movies of 2015.  I’ve been meaning to read this for over a year. 

Movies

Lion:  I just watched this movie in the afternoon, but I guess I should wait until next week to talk about it.

Kubo and the Two Strings:  See above.  I’ve had a productive day!


I’m not sure what’s available to watch on Netflix or through Redbox.  I anticipate a couple documentaries, at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment