Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A Comprehensive Ranking of the Books I Read in 2016!



This was a fun list to compile.  Honestly, as soon as I read Dolores Claiborne, I knew it was going to be my favorite book of the year.  I love the way Stephen King wrote that novel without chapter breaks and instead through the title character’s dialogue.  It was a breeze for me to get through, and instantly became one of my favorite Stephen King books.  In contrast, as soon as I read Say U Promise, I knew it was impossible for me to rank a book below it as my worst of the year (although Fight Club 2 gave it a good fight).  I know the book is an amateur attempt at a first novel, but it wasn’t enjoyable to read at any point.

I didn’t pay much attention to which books got higher star ratings—and in many cases, I promoted a three star book to finish above a four star:  Adam Silvera’s More Happy Than Not has stayed with me longer than some four star books, so I have it in my top 40.  Rainbow Rowell’s Carry On, one of the first books I read in 2016, also stuck with me, so I put it at #42.  The biggest promotions for me were Where’s You Go, Bernadette?, Psycho, and Highly Illogical Behavior—which were all given four stars when I read them, but finished in my top ten of the year…above some books I had ranked as five stars!  Sometimes it’s not how an initial reaction ranks with me, but instead how much of a lasting impact I’m left with.

Fun fact:  I thought I was lacking on Stephen King in 2016, but it looks like I managed to read six books from him. 

1.  Dolores Claiborne, Stephen King
2.  The Sculptor, Scott McCloud
3.  Psycho, Robert Bloch
4.  Missoula:  Rape and the Justice System in a College Town, Jon Krakauer
5.  All the Way, Robert Schenkkan
6.  Where’d You Go, Bernadette?, Maria Semple
7.  Hyperbole and a Half, Allie Brosh
8.  Illuminae, Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
9.  Let’s Pretend This Never Happened, Jenny Lawson
10.  Highly Illogical Behavior, John Corey Whaley
11.  Wishful Drinking, Carrie Fisher
12.  Ghosts, Raina Telgemeier
13.  What We Saw, Aaron Hartzler
14.  Fences, August Wilson
15.  Hamilton:  The Revolution, Lin-Manuel Miranda
16.  The Price of Salt, Patricia Highsmith
17.  Milk and Honey, Rupi Kaur
18.  A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
19.  Mr. Mercedes, Stephen King
20.  Food, a Love Story, Jim Gaffigan
21.  Gemina, Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
22.  Girl, Interrupted, Susanna Kaysen
23.  The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Sherman Alexie
24.  A Monster Calls, Patrick Ness
25.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl
26.  The Humans, Stephen Karam
27.  Thirteen Reasons Why, Jay Asher
28.  Adulthood is a Myth, Sarah Anderson
29.  Yes Please, Amy Poehler
30.  Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (graphic novel), Ransom Riggs and Cassandra Jean
31. We Should Hang Out Sometime, Josh Sundquist
32.  The Birds, Daphne du Maurier
33.  El Deafo, Cece Bell
34.  Heads or Tails, Lilli Carre
35.  Disgraced, Ayad Akhtar
36.  Scrappy Little Nobody, Anna Kendrick
37.  The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (play), Simon Stephens
38.  Finders Keepers, Stephen King
39.  George, Alex Gino
40.  More Happy Than Not, Adam Silvera
41.  Today Will Be Different, Maria Semple
42.  Carry On, Rainbow Rowell
43.  Dad is Fat, Jim Gaffigan
44.  This One Summer, Mariko Tamaki
45.  The Emotionary, Eden Sher
46.  All the Bright Places, Jennifer Niven
47.  Everything Everything, Nicola Yoon
48.  Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, Becky Albertalli
49.  Me Before You, Jojo Moyes
50.  Secret Window, Secret Garden, Stephen King
51.  This Book Is Gay, James Dawson
52.  Multiple Choice, Alejandro Zambra
53.  Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer
54.  The Assistants, Camille Perri
55.  Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist, Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
56.  Wonder, R.J. Palacio
57.  Proof, David Auburn
58.  If I Stay, Gayle Forman
59.  Just So Happens, Fumio Obata
60.  The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving, Jonathan Evison
61.  This is Where It Ends, Marieke Nijkamp
62.  The Lovers Dictionary, David Levithan
63.  Wallbanger, Alice Clayton
64.  Another Day, David Levithan
65.  Heartburn, Nora Ephron
66.  I’m Thinking of Ending Things, Iain Reid
67.  The Goat, or Who is Sylvia?, Edward Albee
68.  Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (novel), Ransom Riggs
69.  Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pies, Jordan Sonnenblick
70.  Hollow City (graphic novel), Ransom Riggs and Cassandra Jean
71.  End of Watch, Stephen King
72.  Not That Kind of Girl, Lena Dunham
73.  A Man Called Ove, Fredrik Backman
74.  Parenting:  Illustrated with Crappy Pictures, Amber Dusick
75.  Hilo:  Saving the Whole Wide World, Judd Winick
76.  Hidden Bodies, Caroline Kepnes
77.  Egghead, Bo Burnham
78.  Mosquitoland, David Arnold
79.  The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo, Amy Schumer
80.  Point Your Face at This:  Drawings, Demetri Martin
81.  Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, Newt Scamander (J.K. Rowling)
82.  The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook:  Work, Joshua Piven
83.  Hilo:  the Boy Who Crashed to Earth, Judd Winick
84.  Kindred Spirits, Rainbow Rowell
85.  Jaws, Peter Benchley
86.  Home is Burning, Dan Marshall
87.  Big Magic, Elizabeth Gilbert
88.  Everything is Teeth, Evie Wyld
89.  The Sun is Also a Star, Nicola Yoon
90.  Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores, Jen Campbell
91.  The Book with No Pictures, B.J. Novak
92.  Crank, Ellen Hopkins
93.  Doug the Pug: King of Pop Culture, Leslie Mosier
94.  101 Things to Definitely Not Do If You Want to Get a Chick, Will Forte
95.  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, John Tiffany, J.K. Rowling & Jack Thorne
96.  The Dark Man, Stephen King
97.  Why Not Me, Mindy Kalig
98.  Ask Me How I Got Here, Christine Heppermann
99.  Fight Club 2, Chuck Palahniuk, Cameron Stewart, et. al
100.  Say U Promise, Michel Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment