Monday, January 2, 2017

Here's What I Plan to Read and Watch This Week (1/2 - 1/8)

2017 has only been around for two days, and I’ve already watched season one of Stranger Things in two sittings, I sat through a godawful Lifetime movie, and I accidentally read a book in one sitting.  So much for my one book a week goal!

Here’s what I did last week.

Books

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon:  C-.  Reviewed here.  It’s not sitting well for me, especially the ending. 

All the Way by Robert Schenkkan:  A-.  Fun fact:  I’m a total U.S. President nerd:  when bored, I will often research U.S. Presidents, and I am far too interested in the margins of victory for each Presidential Election (let’s not talk about 2016’s victor, thanks).  That is how I found my way to All the Way, the 2014 Tony Award Winner for Best Play.  Here is a historical play that is so gripping and entertaining that in the lead-up to the 1964 election, I questioned LBJ’s margin of victory, even though I, of course, knew it was a landslide victory.  I’ll definitely seek out the 2016 HBO adaptation of the play.

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher:  A-.  Yes, I read this because of Fisher’s untimely death on Tuesday.  Even if you take away the Star Wars performances, Carrie Fisher’s wit was one for the ages.  The essays in Wishful Drinking are equal parts hilarious and insightful, as Fisher covers her fame, family tree, and she’s very frank about her mental illness.  It’s very rare to read someone who is trying to take the stigma from mental illness, which I appreciated.

The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith:  B.  I prefer the 2015 film Carol starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara to the novel, which is overwritten—especially the opening chapters, which slogs through before getting to the meat of the story.  Once the book hits its stride, though, it’s just as captivating as the movie was.

Movies

Lion: C+. Philomena version 2.0:  overly sentimental, but not terrible. Capable acting from most involved...except for Rooney Mara, who gives a bewilderingly bad performance. This is catnip for Academy members of a certain age; I'll admit, the ending had me brushing away a tear.

Kubo and the Two StringsB+.  Short on plot and heavy on stop motion animation—but goodness, what great animation! 

GleasonB+.  I knew it was a documentary featuring a popular football player who battles ALS, but I didn’t realize how harrowing the experience would be.  I also wasn’t prepared for an honest look at how an illness like ALS could take a toll on marriage, family and friendships.  I need a hug.

Demolition: C-. This fucking movie...I didn’t care much for it. It started off promising, but then quickly spiraled down. It doesn't help that this Fight Club knock-off was written by a guy whose next screenplay would be an adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel. I am Jack's growing sense of bemusement.

I Am Not a Serial KillerD.  I know this movie was probably made on a budget of ten dollars in Kohl’s cash, but it still didn’t need to look like a cheap SyFy movie, especially in the final moments.  Also, I grew increasingly tired of the lame symbolism.  John sees a serial killer who removes vital organs from his victims.  Cut to a scene where John watches his mom gut the holiday turkey, then cut to the family playing Operation.  GET IT?!?!?!

Trolls: C. Nothing especially bad, but too zany for its own good; some questionable music choices (“Hello” by Lionel Richie?  “I’m Coming Out” by Diana Ross?  Really?). Wouldn't it be great if all of the world's problems could be solved by a Justin Timberlake song?

Krisha: A. Ever have a drunk aunt who embarrasses herself and everyone around her at Thanksgiving or Christmas? Well, Krisha is a full-length version of this character. Not only am I in awe of how this film was made and with so few resources, I'm equally impressed that the acting works, and there's not a false note around. I hope Trey Edward Shults is a voice that will be around for a while.  As it would happen, the last film I saw in 2016 is easily one of the best of the year.

Here is what I plan to read and watch this week.

Books

Been Here All Along by Sandy Hall:  I read this in one sitting today, oops. 

The Motherfucker with the Hat by Stephen Adly Guirgis:  This play has been on my radar for some time now.  Yes, the unusual title has increased my intrigue for it.

I'm going to try and read fewer books this year, so hopefully this is all I read this week.  We'll see!

Movies

Hidden Figures:  I’ll never shy away from a female-led ensemble, even when the movie could be a dopey historical movie. 


I’m not sure what else is coming to St. Louis this weekend.  I may go see Phantom of the Opera in Chicago on Saturday, so my movie watching week may be truncated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment