Monday, January 23, 2017

Here's What I Plan to Read and Watch This Week (1/23 - 1/29)



I forgot to do this last week.  I was off from work on Monday for MLK day, and then took a vacation day on Tuesday, and then I just…forgot.  Oops.

Here is what I’ve read and watched over the past two weeks.  Spoiler alert:  it’s a lot of graphic novels and Netflix.

Books

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson:  A-.  At first, the less polished illustrations distracted me from the plot, but I quickly grew to appreciate the style.  The story—think The Incredibles from the villain’s perspective, or Despicable Me without those damn Minions—is hilarious throughout, and contains several scenes that elicits The Feels ™.

What Light by Jay Asher:  B-.  Sure, it’s a standard romance featuring a down-to-earth teenager and a “bad boy”; think Twilight without all the sparkles.  The parents don’t approve, some of Sierra’s friends judges Caleb—and why?  Well, he has a reputation for being dark and brooding, and he…may have pulled a knife on his sister.  Despite a silly as hell premise, What Light works.  Along with Thirteen Reasons Why, Jay Asher has proven that he is good at taking the first impression an audience has for a character and tilts it in an unexpected way.

A History of Violence by John Wagner:  B. I knew the film, A History of Violence, was based off a graphic novel…but I never bothered to seek it out.  If I wasn’t at a library on a Sunday afternoon browsing up and down for something to read, I probably would have gone another year without reading the source material.  Luckily, for me, the book was on the graphic novel shelf, and when I flipped through it, I was intrigued with the art design.  The first 100 pages were an excellent start to a crime story; unfortunately, the conclusion is convoluted.  I prefer the film, but there are plenty of powerful moments in the graphic novel.

Check, Please (Year One) by Ngozi Ukazu:  B+.  Then I read…

Check, Please (Year Two) by Ngozi Ukazu:  A-.  My friend Gina strongly encouraged me to read these (some would say “forced” or “peer pressured,” but I don’t know who).  I’m not a hockey fan, but it didn’t affect my enjoyment of this sinfully addicting coming-of-age story of a Freshman (later Sophomore) college student who is on an athletic scholarship and meets his hockey teammates for the first time.  This hilarious read also had many scenes that gave me The Feels ™.

Movies

The Little Prince: C+. Contains some strong emotional moments, but Jesus this movie is too long and overstays its welcome.

Paterson: A-. Okay, so three quick thoughts: 1.) I didn't get the memo that there was so much humor in the movie. I was very pleasantly surprised at the tone of the film; I don't think it would have been as enjoyable, instead probably too pretentious, if it took everything stone serious. 2.) I'm going to co-sign the Adam Driver for Best Actor campaign. 3.) I'm so glad I didn't take a friend to see this with me because they would have HATED the film and thought it was a waste of two hours.

In honor of Friday the 13th, I watched a couple of movies in that series on Hulu.  I’ve seen all 10 11 12 installments multiple times and they are guilty pleasures, even though I’ll be the first to admit they lack any merit.

Patriots Day: C+. Introduces too many characters and forgets about half of them, yet fails to develop critical characters beyond the typical "good vs. bad" dichotomy. Still, the big scenes play well as a Hollywood thriller without disrespecting the families of the victims. I cried!

Tower: A. This is an immense documentary achievement, and one that will stick with me for a long time. The animation sequences bring life to this important story without much footage available; talk about spinning gold from straw!

Aquarius: B+. Yes, the plot doesn’t justify its length:  it's too long by about 45 minutes. However, if the movie gives me more time with Sonia Braga in the leading role, there is very little to complain about.

A Bigger Splash: B-. Dakota Johnson is terrible.  Between this, Fifty Shades of Grey, and How to Be Single, I'm still not convinced that she knows what acting is. Thankfully, unlike those other movies, Johnson only plays a supporting role.  The chemistry between everyone else is as uncomfortable as this black comedy needs it to be.  Nice twist!

Live By Night: C. A misfire, to be sure, but not uninteresting. Ben Affleck is hopelessly boring in the leading role; his lack of charisma made me yearn to rewatch Brad Pitt's cardboard performance in Allied. The script is weaker than sweet tea that has been sitting in the fridge for three days.

Little Men: C+. I don't like the screenplay, which thinks it's saying way more than it is. Paulina Garcia's part is so harshly underwritten, but god bless her the woman gives that role all she has; Garcia is definitely the standout in an otherwise limp film.

The Founder: C+. I like Michael Keaton, and god help him he's trying so hard to make this movie work. Unfortunately for his efforts, I can't recall a recent movie that had so much trouble understanding tone. Is Ray Kroc a genius who took a promising business and propelled it to prosperity? Is Kroc the Donald Trump that we should despise? The movie is unsure if we are supposed to marvel or revel with the main character. John Lee Hancock, one of Hollywood's most boring directors, was unable to decide if he wanted to make his film an expose on a billion dollar corporation and settled for a feature length episode of Shark Tank. I liked a couple sequences, but can we stop with all of the cutesy "oh, that will NEVER work" wink-wink stuff?

Pit Stop:  C.  I’m all for a slow burning LGBT drama, but when the acting isn’t strong enough to prevent the audience from checking the time several times, an 84 minute film could feel like a three hour epic.

Split: B-. Let's be real, The Visit and Split aren't great films by any stretch, but they are entertaining because M. Night Shyamalan realizes how silly the premises are and runs with them full stop. There are genuinely creepy moments in the film, mostly because of how good James McAvoy is, but also because of Shyamalan’s skill at building suspense. The film kind of falls apart in the last 15 minutes, which is unfortunate. Oh, and cute reveal at the end.  All of that said, I gladly cosign any petition to stop having people with mental illnesses as the villain of movies like this.

I Love You, Phillip Morris:  B-.  I was about to turn the film off within the first ten minutes because the humor didn’t impress me, and I found it overall crude without an ounce of self-awareness.  Luckily, I gave the film another shot.  Jim Carrey gives an often times hilarious performance, and his chemistry with Ewan McGregor keeps the film entertaining.  I’m surprised a film so misguided in the first ten minutes could nail the necessary dramatic moments and remain funny to the end.

And he’s what I’m planning to read and watch this week:

Books

I’ve been bad lately, which is why I’ve only been reading graphic novels.  My concentration has been compromised, and I’ve been unable to power through slightly mediocre dialogue.  I hope that this passes soon! 

I’ll either read Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland, The Colorado Kid by Stephen King, or Love and First Sight by Josh Sundquist.

Movies

Oscar nominations are announced tomorrow, which will affect what I watch, as I’ll try to catch up on some nominated titles that I missed.  Additionally, I want to watch…

Silence (for real this time)
Gold

In addition, other things on Netflix/Redbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment