Monday, March 20, 2017

Here's What I Plan to Read and Watch This Week (3/20 - 3/26)



I didn’t have to travel this week, so I had some more time to read and watch movies.  As I predicted, though, I wasn’t able to get through two audiobooks in the same week.  Although, for some reason, I chose to get through the newer audiobook rather than finish the one that was due this week—in my typical “ooh, shiny books” way.

Books

It’s All Absolutely Fine by Ruby Elliot: A-.  For fans of Jenny Lawson’s nonfiction books, and fans of Hyperbole and a Half, I urge you to give Ruby Elliot’s book a shot.  Yes, it deals with heavy subjects—depression, body issues, eating disorders, anxiety—but it’s educational for those looking for a semi-serious self-help book.  I’ll definitely start to follow Elliot’s Tumblr feeds for quicker updates while she continues her journey.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver: B. As I expected, this story translates better on the page than it did on the screen.  The Groundhog Day meets Mean Girls aspect does get tiring in the second act, but I was able to understand Sam Kingston’s character development more, and it felt like a smooth transition.

Movies

The Hollars: D. Holy shit, this film is a tonal disaster. This hunk of junk plays every key on the piano in the hopes that it will garner hipster cred and/or be beloved as a tearjerker. It tries so hard to be liked, but when the script starts with Sharlto Copley pissing in a pitcher and ends with the worst excuse of gallows humor this side of Sweeney Todd, the film can only do so much. Thank God for Margo Martindale and Richard Jenkins, who both give phenomenal performances in a film that doesn't deserve the effort. It's an interesting case study to compare what Other People gets right whereas The Hollars gets terribly wrong.

Beauty and the Beast (2017): C+. Visually stunning movie with sporadically good acting and singing. Unfortunately, the use of auto tune is not subtle at all.  Thankfully, the good outweighs the bad, and the movie wasn’t completely unnecessary.

Kong: Skull Island: B-. Reviewed here.

My Life as a Zucchini: A-. Okay, so I wasn’t aware of the extremely short runtime (it barely cracks in at an hour and ten minutes), and I also didn’t know the movie’s main plotline involved the eponymous character entering an orphanage.  This film runs the gambits of emotions, and delivers this stop-motion animation in such a fulfilling fashion that I didn’t realize it was so short until I checked my cell phone after it ended.  I need a sequel to this right now!

My Life as a Zucchini was the last 2016 movie I really needed to watch before finalizing my top ten list, so I'll do that some time this week!

And here’s what I’m planning to read and watch this week.

Books

The Receptionist by Janet Groth: I’m halfway done and the audiobook is due back tomorrow night.  Can I get through this?  Possibly, if I don’t get too distracted by…

It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini: I bought this book about six months ago at a Goodwill, and I still haven’t gotten around to it because I have a book buying problem.  This would still be on my list of things to read if it weren’t for one of my co-workers, who recently read this and won’t shut up about its virtues.  It’s an average sized book (roughly 450 pages) so I hope to finish it this week.

Big Mushy Happy Lump by Sarah Anderson: Look, I’m in love with Sarah Scribbles. 

Movies

Gifted: AMC has been giving away a lot of free movie screenings lately, and it’d be rude if I didn’t take them up on their offers…right?

Power Rangers: Last week I admitted that I’m a closet WWE fan (although admittedly not as religiously as I was back in 1999-2004). It’s probably not a surprise that I was a fan of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from the age of like 6 – 11.  This movie doesn’t look too good, but I’ll still find time to watch it.

Life: Dumb title. I feel like I’ve seen this type of space movie about three dozen times.

No comments:

Post a Comment