Monday, March 6, 2017

Here's What I Plan to Read and Watch This Week (3/6 - 3/12)



Another week down!  This past week, I tried to be spontaneous with my media consumption; therefore, I read a collection of poetry in one sitting, powered through a graphic novel in less than an hour, and chose movies to watch on a whim.  In addition, I started watching Big Little Lies, the HBO miniseries.  I’m only done with episode one, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I can’t wait to continue. 

Here’s what I read and watched last week.

Books

Winter’s Bone by Daniel Woodrell: B+.  For fans of the 2010 Jennifer Lawrence film, you will most definitely enjoy the source material, since the two go hand-in-hand.  I enjoyed Woodrell’s descriptions of the rural area, and I appreciated Ree’s character arc (she’s easily one of the best female leads in a book that I’ve read recently).  Like the movie, I was a little disappointed with the conclusion, which feels too easy.

The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village under the Sea by Mark Haddon: C-.  Meh.

Wilson by Daniel Clowes: B+.  I saw the trailer for the movie adaptation before Table 19 started.  I wasn’t aware that Daniel Clowes (who created the graphic novel Ghost World) also did this episodic tale of an aging curmudgeon.  This was a quick read, but I was surprised that despite the alternating artistic styles and that each page contained a different episode, it told a coherent story.

Movies

Table 19: D. This is the kind of movie where all the jokes fall flat, the plot doesn't develop to its full term, and you begin to wonder what attracted a cast like this to the material. This is a rare movie going experience where I was the only person in the theater for half of the film. Inexplicably, someone walked in halfway through the movie. After the movie ended and I began to walk to my car, I saw the woman who came in halfway on her phone, no doubt telling loved ones about a bad judgment call she made today.  I felt so guilty that I wasted an hour and a half of my life that I drove to the local zoo and walked around for a little bit, enjoying the beautiful day.

(I may do a full-length review on this, because it's really sitting wrong with me.)

The Meddler: B. I missed this one in theaters last year, and I’m glad I found time to catch up with it.  Susan Sarandon plays the overbearing mother character so well that I almost immediately forgot about her spotty accent she was trying to pull off. 

Before I Fall: C. Ever wonder how Groundhog’s Day would work if you replace the characters with bitchy teenagers? This is about as good (and bad) as the premise sounds.  On the bright side, I'm really looking forward to the book, because *surely* it has to be better.

I’m going to a book convention in Tennessee this weekend (I’m leaving on Thursday), so I won’t have that much time to read or watch anything.  In addition to working on Big Little Lies, here is what I have planned.

Books

The Girls by Emma Cline: I figured I’d give this audiobook a chance.  If not, I may listen to…

The Receptionist by Janet Groth: As the cover suggests, this is biography about a woman who makes a career as a receptionist at The New York Times.

Movies

All about Eve: I’ve seen this Bette Davis/Anne Baxter classic about ten times.  TCM is showing this in theaters on Wednesday night, so I’ll definitely try and make time for it.

Blazing Saddles: I’m embarrassed that I haven’t watched this yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment