Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Here's What I Plan to Read and Watch This Week (2/13 - 2/19)



I was going to start this off by wishing everyone a Happy Galentine’s Day, but I forgot to do this yesterday—so I guess I have to settle for wishing a boring, ordinary Happy Valentine’s Day.

Here’s what I read and watched last week.

Books

The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher:  A-.  As enjoyable as Wishful Drinking, Carrie Fisher’s last memoir focused on her getting the role of Princess Leia on Star Wars and her relationship with co-star Harrison Ford.  Again, Fisher is hilarious and insightful.

Loving vs. Virginia by Patricia Hruby Powell:  B.  Overall I enjoyed this historical fiction book, but I’m unsure why it was written in verse.  I’m not of the belief that books like this need to rhyme or fulfill any arbitrary rule, but it didn’t read in a natural way, which slightly affected my response.

Movies

Passengers: D+. I'm at a loss with this film. On one hand, it's visually stunning, and the first 30-40 minutes are thrilling. I'd love for a full-length movie with just the Chris Pratt character, and the moral dilemma his character faces. On the other hand, the enjoyment level after Jennifer Lawrence's character plummets because of how the film handles the situation. This is one of the most morally corrupt romance I've seen.

Jim: the James Foley Story: B-. Overly long (by at least a half hour), repetitive, and glosses over big questions. Still, it's a powerful collection of interviews. I cried!  For some reason the end credits let us know three times that "The Empty Chair" was an original song written by Sting.

Fifty Shades Darker: D. Reviewed here.

The Batman Lego Movie: B. Yes, it's sophomoric. Yes, some of the jokes aren't as successful as others. Yes, it's not as good as The Lego Movie.  All of that said, this is an absolute riot. Will Arnett is a great anchor for this movie, and he plays well with virtually the entire cast. Can we take a second and thank the filmmakers for giving Michael Cera something to do in a movie in 2017?

Silence: B+. I waited so long to watch this three-hour Martin Scorsese movie about priests that I had to watch it at the second run, $3.50 theater.  I guess my fear was that the film would be boring and I wouldn’t relate to the film’s religious message.  Thankfully, my fears were misplaced, and I found it a thoroughly engrossing, haunting film with a great central performance by Andrew Garfield.

Here’s what I’m planning to read and watch this week.

Books

I’m in the middle of several books that I’m hoping to finish.  I also started a book over the weekend, but it’s a larger book and I have no delusion that I’m going to finish it this week.

The Collected Poems by Sylvia Plath:  A lot of this feels like a review from when I studied her in college.  All of this is to say that I’m thoroughly enjoying Plath’s word choice, and overall haunting poetry.
The It-Doesn’t-Matter Suit by Sylvia Plath:  Speaking of Plath, I didn’t know that she had written a children’s book…and my college has a copy of it to read.

Winter’s Bone by Daniel Woodrell:  Loved the film, always wanted to read the source material.

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley:  This looks like it’s going to be a fun graphic novel, because it’s all about food!

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty:  This is the longer book that I won’t be finishing this week.

Movies

The Handmaiden:  I hear this foreign film has some best-of-the-year technical aspects.  It was available at the library, so I have a week to watch it.

The Salesman:  Speaking of critically acclaimed foreign films, this one is also supposed to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment