Monday, February 20, 2017

Here's What I'm Planning to Read and Watch This Week (2/20 - 2/26)



TL;DR:  I might be getting sick, so probably nothing.
 
I think I might finally be getting sick.  This after my roommate being sick at least three times, my immediate family passing around illness for months, etc.  I’d better be well on Sunday, though, since it’s the Oscars.

So, after gulping down some nasty Alka-Seltzer and while sucking on a lozenge, here are the books and movies I read last week.

Books

The It-Doesn’t-Matter Suit by Sylvia Plath: C. I wasn’t aware that Sylvia Plath wrote several children’s books.  I was browsing my university library and ran across this, which confused the hell out of me.  Quality-wise, this is as good as you’d expect a short story with a title like The It-Doesn’t-Matter Suit would be.  I did like what Plath tried to convey about conformity and being yourself.

The Collected Poems by Sylvia Plath: A-. I can read Plath’s poetry all day…and after getting through this collection, I feel like I had.  Ariel (the restored edition) is a better collection of Plath’s poetry, but I can see why she posthumously won the Pulitzer Prize for this.

The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace: B+. Doesn’t this book look exactly like Rupi Kaur’s Milk and Honey?  Yes, it does—which is why it has been on my radar since I read that book back in October.  Also, the title sounded excellent—so yeah, I’ll freely admit I judged this book by its cover.  The same publisher makes it, so it’s not a surprise to report that the typeface and book cover look alike.  Similarly to Kaur’s collection of poetry, Lovelace broke my heart with her stories of loss and abuse—and, also similarly, I felt buoyant by the end of the book. 

Movies

Star Trek Beyond: C. Why do I keep coming back to this series?  I thoroughly enjoyed the reboot in 2009, but the 2013 sequel, Star Trek into Darkness, was a limp fish that flailed for over two hours.  I made the extra terrible mistake to give this a chance after missing out on seeing it while the film was in theaters, which led to the visual effects feeling less crisp, and the action coming across as less urgent than it should have.  Plot-wise, this is only slightly better than the limp fish from 2013…although a Beastie Boys song appearing during a dramatic moment may have been the dumbest thing I’ve seen in a 2016 movie.

The Bye Bye Man: D-. Hahahahahahahahaha.

The Handmaiden: A. I rented this two and a half hour foreign film from my local library, and sat on it until the night before it was due.  After nearly opting to return it unwatched, I thought I’d give it the ole college try…and almost instantly it captivated me.  The Handmaiden has stunning technical aspects, winning performances from all, and a script that contains two jarring plot twists.  I loved the hell out of this film.

I just refilled my water and opened a new lozenge.  Maybe I’ll feel better if I drink some hot chai latte.  While I warm up some water, here’s what I have coming up.

Books

I still need to finish Winter’s Bone (an audiobook) and Relish (a graphic novel).  No promises on finishing anything else, unless I splurge and buy some more poetry.

Movies

The Oscars are this Sunday!  I still need to drive 30 miles and see The Salesman, and I’m seeing a filmed version of Newsies on Wednesday.  Also, I was gonna give Get Out a hard pass, but I'm slightly intrigued that it's Jordan Peele (of Key & Peele fame) making his directorial debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment