Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Here's What I Plan to Read and Watch This Week (2/27 - 3/5)



I forgot to update yesterday because my mind was blown by the Oscar drama (stay tuned).

I was sick for the majority of the week, so I didn’t get a chance to read or watch much.  To put things in perspective, I finally started to feel less miserable on Thursday, when I finally went to the theaters.

Here’s what I read and watched last week.

Books

Dirty Pretty Things by Michael Faudet: C-.  I’m just going to pair that with…

Bitter Sweet Love by Michael Faudet: B-.  Both collections by Michael Faudet are filled with poetry, short stories, and relevant quotations that help set the tone.  What is the subject of these books?  Both of these books contain hardcore descriptions of sex between the author and various women.  These books would make E.L. James blush.  I wish I knew this when I was browsing a Barnes and Noble a week ago and these caught my eye!  Dirty Pretty Thing, which precedes Bitter Sweet Love, is more chaotic and less coherent; the sequel contains better poetry and short stories, and my enjoyment level was much higher than with the original.  I will say that in both books, I wish the collection were organized better.  There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to the structure.

Movies

Get Out: B+. I saw the trailer a couple times and I was set to give it a hard pass, but even before the great reviews, I thought I'd give it a chance because it was Jordan Peele's directorial debut. From the opening scene, this movie set the kind of uneasy tone that had me squirming in the seat. This is a jarring, unsettling film. I can't wait to see it again!

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore: C+. Funny first two acts; ultimately falls apart in that erratic conclusion. I’m so tired of comedies that devolve into crime dramas, because it never feels like an organic conclusion and the humor gets spottier.  Despite my annoyances, however, luckily Melanie Lynskey is a delight throughout as the main character.

The Salesman: A-. Asgar Farhadi continues to be peerless when it comes to morality tales. Excellently structured and paced to ensure maximum impact.

In addition, here’s what I’m planning to read and watch this week.

Books

Winter’s Bone by Daniel Woodrell:  This audiobook expires early this week, so I really need to get to it.

The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village under the Sea by Mark Haddon:  What a title!  I’ve been on a poetry kick this month.  I haven’t read anything by Mark Haddon since Curious Incident.

Movies

Moonlight:  I first saw it in October and thoroughly loved it.  After its surprising Best Picture win, I feel inclined to re-watch it…especially since it’s being released on DVD today!

Kong: Skull Island:  Advance screenings ftw!

Table 19:  I literally just looked at local theaters and saw this independent comedy playing in St. Louis this weekend.  I’m already going to be in the area on Sunday for a Beatles tribute show, so I might catch this beforehand.  I like the cast (Anna Kendrick, Lisa Kudrow, et. al) and it’s a comedy, so why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment